Jittery or dim w/visible retrace monitors?

From: <solarfox_at_texas.net>
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 22:18:44 EDT

        I've got two raster-monitor problems that need tackling (actually
three, but I'm pretty sure UNIWARS' 60hz "sweep" is just a cap-kit job):

        The first problem is my LAZARIAN cabaret. Recently, the picture has
started jittering back and forth, horizontally - rather as if someone were
adjusting the horizontal centering on a PC monitor with a dirty control.
The picture is fine, otherwise - bright, with all colors present, no
visible retrace.

        The second problem is my recently acquired MEGATACK upright (the only
one in the VAPS to date, yaaay! :) ). The game works perfectly, but the
monitor - a Wells-Gardner 19K4601 - seems to have a few problems... :/ The
picture is rather dim - the red more so than the blue & green, it seems to
me - with a visible, white retrace zigzag across the screen. (The dimness
may be, in part, due to my fiddling with the brightness controls on the
neck board to try and make the retrace go away.)

        Not being terribly experienced with monitors, my question is: are
these the kinds of problems that a Zanen cap-kit job would solve, or should
I be looking elsewhere first? (Not that a cap kit probably isn't a good
idea anyway, but...)
When they took the fourth amendment, I said nothing because I didn't deal drugs.
When they took the sixth amendment, I said nothing because I hadn't committed a crime.
When they took the second amendment, I said nothing because I didn't own a gun.
Now they've taken the first amendment, and I can't say anything about it.