Re: hisssss

From: Matt J. McCullar <mccullar_at_flash.net>
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 21:24:06 EDT

Kurt Mahan wrote:

> I hate when I do something stupid and the vacuum escapes from the tube.

Well, don't take it too hard. On my first day on the job in a TV repair
shop many years ago, I found out the hard way that it's possible to BURN
OUT a projection TV tube by turning its brightness up too high. I've
never seen that anywhere else. Bad engineering, if you ask me.

Once I was given a video monitor to work on that had the picture tube
smashed in from the front. "What happened?" I asked. The owner
explained that an air hose got away from him in the factory and the
metal handle at the end smashed into it. It waggled all over creation
like a ferret on crack.

> The only good thing is that I'm posting to the rasterlist and not the
> vectorlist. And the tube had Q*Bert burned in a little excessively..
> (I like Q*Bert, but it sure burns into phospers...)

Ain't that the truth!? Other games you can identify from their dead
monitors: Pac Man, Pole Position (GAME OVER in big, black letters),
Q*Bert... :)

Matt J. McCullar
Arlington, TX