Re: RE: Pac repair

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Tue Dec 12 2000 - 16:37:35 EST

<x-flowed>
I too have settled on the silver Soldapulit as my desoldering tool of
choice. This one is anti-static as well as a good sucker! I find that I can
be heating one leg, while pumping up the Solda with the other, then by the
time the solder is molten I can place the Solda in place (about 1/8 inch to
the side on the board and canted away from the solder point) then suck, now
move the tip to the next junction and at the same time pump up the Solda.
Hold up to a light to make sure all the solder is removed at the end.

You can get a nice rhythm going.

You must be careful NOT to let the Solda strike the tip of the soldering
iron, as this will damage the PCB trace. The tool bounces when activated
and you must make sure this bounce doesn't let the tool's tip strike the
hot trace or soldering tip touch point.

After the solder is sucked, I then use a thin screwdriver blade to push the
joint of the pointy end of the leg and feedthrough hole to the opposite
side of the feedthrough hole on the bottom of the board, and then press the
leg into the chip from the top side of the board at the junction of the leg
and the top of the feedthrough hole. This will normally release the IC and
I can then pull it out with my fingers (NEVER force out with a
screwdriver!!!). If the IC is still stuck use a pair of expanding jaw
pliers and grab the ends of the IC, and gently rotate it a smidgen back and
forth to find the stuck leg. Note this rotation is parallel to the face of
the PCB NOT up/down from the board!

I find I can pull a 40 pin IC in about one minute or so from start to finish.

John :-#)#