TECH: Turkey Shoot / Williams Trouble

From: Teaganm <teaganm_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 09:43:27 EDT

Hey All,

I'm trying to get a Turkey Shoot running for a friend. This is the first
Williams I've really dug into and I have to admit I'm a little lost on
this one. Please forgive the length but I'm trying to supply as much
relevent information as I can.

The Symptoms:
There appears to be 2 problems, but they may be related. First, on power
up the board goes through it's initialization, the moving rug pattern.
During this time the display on the CPU shows 1, the relay pulls in, and
it plays a single "gobble". Next the display shows 2 and the monitor
shows a stationary rug. The display then displays a 0, but the rug
pattern remains. Then I get one of two situations. Either the game coins
up and plays blind, it appears there is some scrambled video mixed with a
rug pattern, or the display on the CPU goes to 3 and nothing else happens.
 The second problem is when the game does not show a 3 code, the game
intermittantly resets. This can be while playing blind or just sitting
there.

My corrective actions so far:
Initially the game had power problems. I replaced the power PCB with one
of Bob Roberts switcher conversions. Removed the battery holder and
installed a 3V lithium . There was no acid damage, just being safe.
Pulled all Eproms and verified them against MAME roms. Replaced all 4116
rams. Replaced 2016 ram. None of this had any noticable effect.

Like I said earlier, I'm kind of lost now. Any and all help is
appriciated.

Steve