Transformer checking/testing?

From: tom mcclintock <tomm_at_mgcap.com>
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 19:25:03 EDT

I've got a transformer assembly out of a (presumably) Sega Space
Firebird. I'm hoping to use this transformer in another project, and
would like to determine what voltages this thing puts out.

The schematics for the game are a little hard to read, and so I'm
wondering what's the best method to test the outputs of this thing so it
doesn't blow up? And do I need to put the transformer under a load like
I do with a power supply? FWIW, this transformer is marked with a part
number of 560-0054.

I suspect this will also help with a few 'mystery' transformers that I
have as well. Thanks for any suggestions,
tom