Qix troubleshooting

From: Werner Sharp <sharpw_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun Oct 07 2001 - 10:29:51 EDT

<x-flowed>
I think I solved my Rally-X problems so I'm moving on to a Qix board.

This board works fine but a couple of odd things are going on. One, there
is no little red timer line on the top of the display. Two, the colors are
messed up in a few of the test screens and when player 2 plays. For
example, when the 2nd player starts his game, the whole game board is white
and the Qix is invisible. You can fill in parts of the screen just like
normal and they work fine. In the test screens, the whole screen is white
usually and some of the test is missing. The board passes self-test fine
and I've tested the color RAMs. It's almost like the colors are getting
inverted sometimes. Anyone seem these symptoms before?

While troubleshooting my Rally-X, I encountered my first 74* TTL chip that
doesn't have standard Vcc + Gnd pinouts. It was a 74ls75. Are there any
other TTL chips that have strange power pinouts like this? I was almost
positive something was wrong with this chip until I looked up it's pinouts
and realized the difference.

Werner Sharp
sharpw@bellsouth.net