Re: Plain black Williams/Joust cab???

From: Jess Askey <jess_at_askey.org>
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 13:37:29 EST

I think the tell-tale signs of it actually being a joust cabinet would have to
be the little things like the dual coin door (can't see in the pic), and the
placement of the power switch and the nice metal handle on the top back to grab
when trucking. Also, joust cabs had the realy nice sliding plywood under the
monitor so that you could view it from the read with the reflective peice of
metal mounted above it. Otherwise, it might just be a generic cabinet that
someone manufactured to look very similar to a Williams cab.

Werner Sharp wrote:

> I just picked up this cab yesterday...
>
> http://www.geocities.com/sharpw/arcade/williams.jpg
>
> and I think it is a Joust cabinet. But the sides are black laminate and I
> don't think there's any original art underneath. The laminate looks bonded
> right to the wood and does not appear to be added to the top of the
> original wood.
>
> Did Williams re-use cabs for other games? Could this be a different
> Williams cab or just a super-good conversion? There's a 1982 date stamp on
> the control panel so it's from right around the Joust era.
>
> Thanks for any ideas.
>
> Werner Sharp
> sharpw@bellsouth.net

later,