Re: Switching Power supply question

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 06:07:07 EST

Most computer supplies need a MINIMUM draw of at least 1 amp on the +5.
There is also a minimum draw level sometimes on the +12. Negative
supplies usually have no minimum.

However, what you have isn't a typical computer supply (a computer
supply doesn't have +24). You might want to try the supply with a low
load (use a Radio Shack 8 ohm speaker load resistor or an automotive
tail light bulb) on the +5 and see if it will even run. And if it runs,
see how close the outputs are to what they should be.

Better to be safe, especially if you're going to run Williams board sets
off of it.