Re: Simple question about cleaning up ground line

From: Andrew Wilson <andrew_at_aqualion.net>
Date: Sat Mar 30 2002 - 21:59:38 EST

> Does this happen only when the switch is in a certain position?

Yes, only when the switch is closed, which is how I figured out what was
happening - with the switch open, the circuit is completely isolated from
the control panel.

> That won't do anything when the switch is closed, because the switch
> will short the capacitor. (I'm assuming you're saying the cap is in
> parallel with the switch. If it's in series with the switch then it
> will act as a high-pass filter, which is the opposite of what you want.)

Yeah, I wasn't very clear - I meant to put the cap between the EPROM address
line and a ground line I brought up from the board, as Rodger suggested. You
are correct, putting the cap between the EPROM address line and the ground
line from the control panel (parallel to the switch) doesn't help me.

My other concern was that when the switch is open, the cap will charge up to
5V, but when you close the switch the cap will discharge very rapidly (won't
it? There's no resistor in series with the cap). Will a cap hold up to this?

The circuit will end up looking like this (with the cap connected to X)

+5V ---/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\--X----[switch]----<control panel gnd>

                         +----[Capacitor]------<PCB gnd>

When that switch closes, suddenly the voltage at X is going to very rapidly
drop from 5V to 0V, discharging the capacitor very quickly, which seems like
a bad thing for the cap, but I don't see how else to do it (at least,
without using a relay :). Or will a cap hold up to this type of use pretty
well?

-atw