Williams NVRAM Kits

From: Dave Langley <robotron_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu Feb 06 2003 - 15:53:35 EST

<x-flowed>
Hi ...

I've been looking at getting some PCB's made up to adapt a modern NVRAM to
fit in the socket used by the Early Williams games (Defender, Stargate,
Robotron, Joust, Bubbles, Sinistar, Blaster and others) and the main
problem is the tool up cost of having the PCB's made.

The advantage of these is that you don't need batteries so they wont
leak! Also it stops the bit-rot in your high score table when using a
switching PSU (certainly on Robotron type boards, I've not tried it on
Defender yet).

Fitting would involve desoldering your existing CMOS RAM chip (a 5101 in
Defender or a 5114/5514 in other games) and fitting a socket (which will be
in the kit) into which the module plugs in ....

I'm hoping to be able to get these done for around ú20 ($35) including the
NVRAM chip. If there's any interest I'll get some made up, so let me know
if you want any ....

Dave Langley
www.robotron-2084.co.uk