Strange STARGATE behavior

From: <solarfox_at_texas.net>
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 20:32:51 EDT

        I have a Williams STARGATE which is exhibiting some strange quirks...

        The game powers up and goes through its self-test without incident...
but when you try to play the game, you have an apparently infinite supply
of ships and smart bombs, and the video occasionally freezes or "hiccups"
during game play (although the game continues to play during the freeze;
it's like the CPU just quits updaing the display for a few frames).

        If you use the "advance" switch to step it through its self-test and
operator-setup screens, it reports no RAM or ROM problems, goes through the
display test and bookkeeping screens, then crashes hard at the first
options-setup screen. (At this point, the game is locked up hard, and has
to be powered down to reset it.) You see the first line of text, then
graphics glitch lines flicking their way from bottom to top of the screen.

        ROM problems? Flaky RAM's? Interconnect cables? Or...?
"In ancient times, they believed that there were only four kinds of matter:
Earth, Water, Air, and Fire. Nowadays, of course, we know that there are
actually four states of matter: Solid, Liquid, Gas, and Plasma. Thank God
for progress!" ---(Kelvin Throop III)