Midway Space Invaders sound problems

From: Rodney M <debaser_at_debaser.net>
Date: Sun Oct 24 2004 - 16:40:53 EDT

I have two Midway Space Invaders sound boards that I'm working on. The
first sound board is missing the invader hit sound and the saucer hit
sound is a single tone instead of the variable tone sound it should be.
  I replaced the LM3900's at M4 & M5 for the invader hit and K4 for the
saucer hit. After doing this, whenever a game is started, a high
pitched whine is heard until the game ends. I still have no invader hit
sound and the saucer hit sound still is not correct. I ended up
replacing all the LM3900's on this board along with the 4016 at J5 but
still no luck.

The second sound board is missing the missle, saucer hit and explosion
sounds. I replaced the appropriate LM3900's and did get the saucer hit
sound back. I'm now getting a high pitched sound for the missle sound
but still no explosion sound. I replaced the 4106 at J5 on this board
also but that didn't help.

 From looking at the schematics, it seems a bad 4006 might be causing
some of these problems. Can anyone back this up? Anyone know where I
can order some 4006's?

Another thing I'm getting on both sound boards is a loud pop sound when
the game first starts and each time after you are killed.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rodney