Ms Pacman and Asteroids in C

From: Neil Bradley <nb_at_synthcom.com>
Date: Tue Jan 24 2006 - 23:35:48 EST

Sorry for the cross group posting, but it's appropriate to both groups.

A while ago I mentioned I was working on a recompiler for various CPUs. I've
managed to get the 6502 and Z80 recompiled with dead store elimination, and
they both run amazingly fast when compiled natively!

The best I could do with hand written assembly language based emulation was
about 20,000 FPS on Ms Pacman on my 3Ghz Pentium 4. With dead store elimination
just barely working, it's clocking over 90,000 FPS.

I've done Asteroids and Ms Pacman as my proof of concept vehicles, and they
both work blazingly quickly. If you'd like to peruse the sources, here ya go:

http://www.synthcom.com/~nb/asteroids.c
http://www.synthcom.com/~nb/mspacman.c

For those of you who are programmers and want to throw suggestions my way, I'm
perfectly aware that the code is not yet as optimal as it can be, and what
you're seeing is a work in progress. I have many, many more ideas, most of
which are already standard compiler techniques:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiler_optimization

-->Neil