Re: Space Invaders Monitor Question

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 14:55:18 EDT

peter jones wrote:

> -----Original Message----- From: "Matthew Rossiter" <rossiter@ni.net>
> To: <rasterlist@vectorlist.org> Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 09:12:46 -0700
> Subject: Re: RASTER: Space Invaders Monitor Question
>
> > mirrored glass clean.... check Bad video ground.. I will
> > re-check.
> >
> > thanks.
> >

> not just the ground, check the video cable carefully. remember -
> composhit video is very sensitive unlike rgb.
>
> i dont know what you have there, but zacarria used a single-core
> screened cable for the video to block interference.

Another thing I've run across is most people don't seem to be
able to properly set up a monitor. A lot of blurry pictures
are caused by setting contrast too high. That saturates the video
stages and the whites smear because of it.

In the case of this old of a game, turn down the contrast, set the
brightness until the black areas start to glow, then turn down the
brightness until black is black and adjust contrast for the desired
white level.

Doing it this way compensates for most
power supply/monitor/wiring/board combinations.

If the brightness control is set too low the contrast ends up having
to be set too high and you start smearing.