Bally MCR Journey sound weirdness/problems

From: Joe Magiera <joemagiera_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Sun Jun 18 2006 - 21:18:54 EDT

After moving around some games, my Journey game has developed a peculiar
sound problem.

The game starts with normal sound, but after 2-3 minutes the PCB sound goes
off. (The cassette player sound is fine and not relevant to this problem).
If I go into self test and do a diagnostics test, the game reports an A8
code for the sound board. However, all sounds test fine in self test. Then
if I go back into game mode, the sound will work again, but will go out very
quickly, usually less than 30 seconds. If I shut the game off and turn it
back on, the game will start with sound, but will go out after a minute or
so.

The Journey manual mentions the self test, but does not provide any
information for any problems or codes that are displayed. The Bally MCR
manual also mentions self test, but doesn't give any information on any
codes reported.

Does anyone have any MCR repair experience? Anyone have any ideas? Any
help/ideas much appreciated. Thanks,

Joe