I,Robot Stuffed IC question...

From: Jess Askey <jess_at_askey.org>
Date: Fri Sep 01 2006 - 01:02:12 EDT

I was wondering if someone could do me a favor and look at their I,Robot
video PCB and tell me if the chips at the following locations are
actually stuffed? These are shown as stuffed on pages 4-28 and 4-29 of
the manual but I don't see them on the schematic anywhere. I have an
Ice World PCB and am trying to document the ASIC circuit since Ice World
does not have the ASIC.

3H,3J,3M,3P,3R,4A,4C,4D
5B,5C,5H,5J

I also realize that there are several other locations that are not
stuffed or the ASIC sits over those locations now but these aren't shown
on either the schem or the parts diagram so I know they are not loaded...

for reference, those locations are....

3C,3D,3E,3F,3K,3L,3N
4B,4H/J/K(ASIC is here)
5A,5F
6D
7F(PROM)

Some Notes: The IC's on the Ice World PCB that I can tally so far as
missing on the Production I,Robot PCB only include straight TTL IC's and
a single PROM (no RAM) so there isn't a stack but just a state machine
and lots of counters, latches, demuxers and misc gates.

Given this tally... I have a total of 27 IC's that make up the ASIC on
I,Robot. Im using Xilinx' ISE Project Navigator (It's FREE) to try and
document this and design a CPLD hopefully. Im new at this so if anyone
has any tips, please throw them my way.

Also, I should have borrowed a production Video PCB as well so I could
compare easily. Right now, I only have the Ice World PCB which makes
things much more difficult.

Anyone want to loan me their I,Robot Video PCB ;-)
or can someone take some super high res pics of one?

thanks

jess