Simi Horizontal lines on screen

From: Cameron Rector <crector_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Thu May 17 2007 - 19:19:06 EDT

Hello,
  I am new to trouble shooting rasterscan monitors. All of my other games are vector beam. So I have been reading the Atari "The Book" and have learned that my lines are caused by the primary trace. I have noticed that these lines are more prominent when the brightness is turned down. I figure it's because I am not receiving a video signal for this trace and the monitor is displaying it's default grey for this trace line. My guess I have a bad ram address that doesn't send data and about every inch of scan it repeats this address causing another grey line. If you turn up the brightness far enough you can almost make the lines go away however, the color gets washed out.

  Atari "The Book" Chapter 3 Pg 3-4 Figure 1 shows the diagonal lines almost exactly as I see them on the screen. The rest of the video is fine.

  So could someone tell me if I am thinking correctly or not. Also any pointers on troubleshooting this would be great.
  BTW this is my pole position game.