I-Robot Mathbox problem

From: Matt Rossiter <matt_at_rossiters.com>
Date: Sat Aug 09 2008 - 01:10:34 EDT

I guess it's time to change the subject line now that the switching power
supply works.

Thanks Tim. I had tested all of the math prom sumchecks using my eprom
programmer. They all seem to test out fine.
I'm pretty sure my problem has something to do with the Mathbox clock.
MBCLK looks like a mess to me.

One of the first things I noticed was there was no output on the 245
buffers at 2L and 2K. I'm getting a proper signal on pin 1, but pin 19 is
stuck high for some reason, which is labeled /EXTDEN.
http://games.rossiters.com/manuals/IROBOT_5A.jpg

I traced that signal back to the 74LS00 at 9B. I'm seeing input signals on
pins 4 and 5 but nothing on pin 6 so I replaced that chip but I'm still
having the same problem. http://games.rossiters.com/manuals/IROBOT_4B.jpg

The signal on pin 5 of 9B looks really strange. So I've been tracing that
back into the circuit a little further, but I haven't been able to find the
problem yet. I've been using a logic comparator to find potential problems
but nothing yet. http://games.rossiters.com/manuals/IROBOT_5B.jpg
Perhaps I have a bad socket somewhere.

I'm in Spain at the momement so I haven't been able to check in the last
few days, but if you have any interesting tips I can think about while I'm
enjoying the beach that would be great. :)

Matt