RE: Atari STUNT CYCLE - service bulletins?

From: Matt J. McCullar <mccullar_at_flash.net>
Date: Fri Aug 06 2010 - 00:52:10 EDT

Yep, you're right, John. The trouble actually turned out to be a bit
upstream from that '193, a gate that provided the clock pulses to it. I
don't have my notes handy at the moment. I had schematics and two boards to
work with, and was fortunate to use both boards to locate the probelms on
each one. (And it seemed every time I let each board "burn in" for a few
hours, another totally different problem would crop up. Missing sounds,
motorcycle resetting to the middle part of the screen after a jump instead
of at the upper left, bad audio amp, etc. The +5 volt circuit was fine, but
these are 30+ year-old TTL chips...)

Come to think of it, one of big problems I had with one motherboard was a
bad 7402. It filled the entire screen with garbage, except for a small
window near the middle of the screen. The game was actually working okay
behind it, and periodically you could see the 'cycle whizzing past that
window.

It seems amazing to me how this game actually does what it does, considering
there is no microprocessor in it!