Re: Atari STUNT CYCLE - service bulletins?

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots2_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Aug 08 2010 - 11:16:26 EDT

Schematic says 4066, not 4016. Pretty much the same thing, but 4016s are
more likely to fail, don't remember why exactly.

On Aug 7, 2010 2:54 PM, "John Robertson" <pinball@telus.net> wrote:

John Robertson wrote:

> Rodger Boots wrote:
>>
>> My God, that is one total abortion of what shoul...
Actually it turned out to be a defective 4016 CMOS switch! I was not paying
attention to the fact that adjusting the added trim pot changed the idle and
run speed of the motorcycle. This trim pot is only supposed to be effective
on the higher wheelie and sets the maximum speed of the bike. What was
happening was the 4016 was behaving as if it had both switches closed
leaving the bike always running in high gear and hence unable to accelerate
correctly - leading to the inability to jump more than 15 or so buses. Now
it jumps just to the right edge of the screen at maximum acceleration,
throttle wound open keeping the bike in the highest wheelie without flipping
over.

Game now works well, customer will be pleased, I certainly am happy to have
figured it out - just wish I hadn't wasted so much time thinking it was a
bad transistor...turns out the 2N3565 can be substituted by other similar
NPN transistors with little effect on the acceleration range/speed.

John :-#)#

> Hi Roger,
>
> It IS a very nasty circuit...I've been trying to repair one here, can't
get it ...