Qbert Clone / Bootleg #2 boardset - Different ROMS?

From: Bill Karkula <wkarkula_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue Jul 05 2011 - 10:02:03 EDT

Hi,

I've been repairing a Qbert 2 board stack Clone #2 boardset that came out of
a qbert cocktail clone and am down to the last issue with the sound section.
On the original qbert all of the sound select signals S2-S32 passed through
one 74LS373. This board has them passing through two and the S16 line going
through the second 74LS373. This second 74LS373 never gets selected so the
S16 line never changes. I have a feeling that the rom code may have been
modified to select this second 74LS373.

One weird thing about this board was that it was apparently worked on before
I got it and a couple of leads were clipped in the sound circuit so that
during a game of Qbert the tune "mary had a little lamb" would repeatedly
play until you were killed. Obviously the sound was not working before as
well and this was a bandaid. I was able to get it to play sounds except that
S16 is not toggling because the 74LS373 is not being selected. Already
verified that the 74LS138 decoder connected to it is fine.

I did notice that ROM2 is a different date code eprom and label than the
other two on this board and may have been replaced with a "standard" Qbert
rom 2 which might be the wrong code. Are the ROMS for the clone #2 board
different? Anyone know where I can get the code for them if they are, or at
least give me the checksum for ROM 2?

I can send pics if needed.

Thanks,

Bill