Re: Where to start on Missile Command PCB repair

From: Grant Thienemann <grant.thienemann_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Nov 05 2013 - 09:42:06 EST

Yeah, still can't believe I did that one, kind of mind blogging because
I've built easily over 20 computers, and I've been working arcade PCBs now
for over a year.

ANYWAY onto my second Missile Command PCB, having learned from my prior
experience, I did the following:

1st. Installed sockets all the ram chips
2nd. Replaced sockets for 6502A and PROMs
3rd. Installed new 4116 ram onto the board
4th. This board actually had a 6502B processor instead of 6502A, but seeing
at it was rated at 3Mhz instead of 2Mhz and I figured the clock would
regulate it I installed the 6502B back onto the PCB.

At this point I tried the PCB, and I was getting the game rebooting after
main Missile Command screen. Went into test mode and I got that the RAM was
good but the ROM was bad. So I got out my Needham's EMP-30 and read all the
PROMs onto my computer, did a romcmp with MAME and found that 035824-02
PROM was bad, even after cleaning the chip, I wasn't getting any data from
it, so I pulled another 035824-02 PROM and installed it on the board, and
the game booted. I played games on that PCB for about 2 hours last nigth
with no issues.

I started working on my third Missile Command PCB by removing 6502 and some
of the PROM sockets but it was late. I will try finishing up that PCB
tonight.

-Grant