Re: bench PS

From: Matt Rossiter - Verio Southern California <matt_at_rossiters.com>
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 17:54:21 EST

I bought an HP programmable power supply about a year ago for $400 and
it's terrible for trying to run a board on. It's got a range of 0-60v and
0-10 Amps.

What it's great for is actually fine tuning and calibrating other pieces
of test equipment because of it's accuracy.

I generally use junky old linear power supplies that can put out about 5v
at 13-18 amps. And then +12/-12v and -5v.

You can also pickup switching power supplies from computers, but you have
to make sure you put enough load on them or they won't power up. I think
most people use switchers, I prefer the linear beasts myself.

Mat