Re: Fluke T-shooters

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 08:44:04 EST

The Fluke has better testing routines, plus it runs the UUT (Unit Under Test) at the UUT's clock speed, hence the RAM and ROM tests are much more accurate. It also has the ability to store testing routines on either tape or on a RS-232 based computer if it has that optional port. <br>
I do have both devices in my shop and since I got the Fluke the CAT is gathering dust...Problems I have had with the CAT are random lockups, and difficulty in finding what is causing it to not function on some boards. <br>
The Fluke tests the bus and TELLS you why it can't work! For example, if the RESET signal is not correct the Fluke will bitch, or if DATA lines are shorted, or if Address lines are shorted, and even, sometimes, if the IRQ is faulty it tells you most of what the problem is or gives you a real clue as to where to look. Someday I'll learn the extended functions that involve the Probes ability to trigger test sequences and also figure out just WHAT the Signature the Fluke generates for each ROM is so I can build a table...If Bill Ung is around the program ROMSUM would be nice to have signature generation as an option...<br>
John :-#)#<br>
At 02:43 PM 1/4/2000 -0800, you wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt;and I'm pretty sure they have other pods as well.. :-)<br>
Not available anymore.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I got my 8080 pod from them a couple of months ago -<br>
&gt; they didn't have any 6502 pods.&nbsp; How long ago did<br>
&gt; they quote that price to you?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I've had a hard time getting pods at &quot;reasonable&quot; prices.&nbsp; I<br>
&gt; consider $495 for a 6502 pod unreasonable (one quote<br>
&gt; I got).<br>
What is a reasonable price for a 9010A troubleshooter &amp; a Z80 pod?<br>
I've found a Z80 pod used, no manual for $175 and a NOS for $275.<br>
How much faster will these tools make me over a Cat box with Z80 pod?<br>
I've also got a line on another hand held fluke tester specifically for<br>
Z80s, clips ontop of the Z80 &amp; does bus testing/ RAM/ ROM &amp; I/O.<br>
Thanks,<br>
Kev<br>