Re: ISO: Frequency counter, Pace MBT solder and extractor

From: Mark Shostak <shostak_at_directlink.net>
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 11:19:36 EST

>Is this an adequate frequency counter for videogame repair purposes:
>
>Heathkit Frequency Counter Model IM-4100
>http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=289956727
>
>If not, what would be a good brand/model to get that is available and cheap?

The Heathkit counters are ok; I have one I love.
But...
A) This is one of the cheap ones (not a major issue)
B) They never specified its maximum frequency
C) They never said it worked
D) They never said if it was originally a kit or sold pre-assembled
E) If it was a kit, depending on who made it, will determine a lot
   as far as how reliable or repairable it will be
F) I've never used a counter on a video game... for anything.
   I'm not sure what you're going to use it for.

I'd spend my money on a good DMM, scope, transistor tester, cap meter,
signature analyzer or beer, before getting a counter for use in VG
repair.

-Mark

 To UNSUBSCRIBE from techtoolslist, send a message with "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the
 message body to: techtoolslist-request@flippers.com. Please direct other
 questions, comments, or problems to jrr@flippers.com.