Re: Pac repair using a chip comparitor

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 04:22:55 EST

<x-flowed>
I was guilty in my first month or so of servicing video games (back in the
70's) of plugging in a board while the power was on. This board had a
115VAC relay and, um, well..., it didn't survive the experience. This is
back in the days when Pong was a big deal (B&W of course!) and the games
sold for $4,000 (Yup, that's $4K Canadian, back then worth a bit MORE than
the US$) so I had to spend a week replacing all the IC's (ALL!) to get it
running again.

Now, of course, I never plug a part in backwards. Really.

"What Never?"

"No Never!"

"Well hardly ever..." (Gilbert & Sullivan)

Clay is right, it is hard to blame the part for our screw-ups, BUT I tried!
(running for cover now ;-)...

Happy Ho-Ho's!

John :-#)#

At 03:02 PM 12/12/00, Clay Cowgill wrote:
>I do find this a little silly. EPROMs will die if you plug them in
>backwards. PCB's will die if you reverse power and ground. This really
>shouldn't be any big news to anyone on this list... ;-) I do have an
>immediate solution that requires no modifications to the design though--
>Don't do that!
>
>I've sold lots of those 284's and 285's since 1998 and have had *maybe* a
>quarter of a percent of the total come back for repair (for *any* reason),
>so I'm really not inclined to modify my PCB design or hand-add a diode to
>every one. It's the 90:10 rule (or in this case the 99.75:0.25 rule :-).
>
>Kev's not quite right on one point though either-- they can be fixed just
>fine. I just have to do it... They're $7 each plus shipping if you smoke
>one.
>
>(I must confess that this really is perplexing to me. I mean, c'mon-- at my
>"real job" if my engineering technician complained that some part dies when
>plugged in backwards you can be pretty sure I'm not going to be blaming the
>part!)
>
>-Clay

 To UNSUBSCRIBE from techtoolslist, send a message with "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the
 message body to: techtoolslist-request@flippers.com. Please direct other
 questions, comments, or problems to jrr@flippers.com.

</x-flowed>