Re: What is a good Freq Counter?

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 02:42:35 EST

<x-html>
It appears that the 9010A can be used for measuring frequency up to about
4 mhz. No tidy, more a compare function using the probe. Look in the docs
with theFrederick's f9010.zip in the archive. This would be useful with
test routines where you are looking for just a few specific frequencies,
for example, on Pacman, the interrupt needs to be at a set frequency-this
you could check. Or on Bally/Stern MPUs the 555 timer has a set frequency
that should be checked every repair...<br><br>
Here is the description:<br>
Frequency counter using the probe<br><br>
</b>There is a FREQUENCY command that enables a frequency counter on the
probe -- up to around 4 MHZ, any way.&nbsp; The compiler will insert
assembly language code into your compiled code and when frequency
requesting is done, the compiler will execute that code.&nbsp; The way
the frequency counter is used would look something like this:<br>

<dl>
<dd>:equate frequency as :next

</dl>The result of the frequency measurement will be placed into either
<u>REG0.or REGF depending upon which version of this compiler you
have.&nbsp; It’s up to you to determine whether the frequency count goes
into REG0 or REGF for your version of the compiler, I’m sorry to
say.&nbsp; The example code provided here assumes that REG0 is the
register which receives the value.&nbsp; You can simply do a test by
displaying both REG0 and REGF, doing the FREQUENCY command, and then
displaying REG0 and REGF again to see which one changed.&nbsp; After you
know which register is used, make a note.<br><br>
After you have equated “frequency” to a program number, to use the
frequency counter, then, you could do something like this:<br>

<dl>
<dd>&nbsp;execute frequency
<dd>&nbsp;if REG0 &gt; 1860000 goto 1
<dd>&nbsp;display CLOCK LOOKS BAD
<dd>&nbsp;goto 2
<dd>label 1
<dd>&nbsp;display FREQUNCY LOOKS GOOD
I wonder if this will work with the rksic.exe compiler? I like using that
compiler as it is all in one system, and I find it cumbersome to run
several compilers in DOS windows...but the documentation provided with
Frederick Rice's f9010.zip is superior to anything I had found
before.<br><br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
--&gt;&gt; The Fluke archive is @
&lt;&lt;--<br><br>
John :-#)#<br><br>
At 08:06 AM 22/01/2002 -0500, Kev wrote:<br><br>
models?<br><br>
Thanks,<br>
Kev<br><br>
&gt; I picked up a HP Signature Voltmeter from eBay for a good price a year or<br>
&gt; so ago, has a nice counter built in...I have some spare parts, thanks to<br>
Al<br>
&gt; K. who sent me a dead one.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; John :-#)#<br><br>
&nbsp;To UNSUBSCRIBE from techtoolslist, send a message with &quot;UNSUBSCRIBE&quot; in the<br>
&nbsp;message body to: techtoolslist-request@flippers.com. Please direct other<br>
&nbsp;questions, comments, or problems to jrr@flippers.com.</blockquote></html>

</x-html>