Re: Gottlieb / Q*bert scripts for the 9010A/9100

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 17:52:48 EDT

I use &quot;Ctrl-R&quot; to reply, and the name of the sender and TechToolsList are both set up as the reply To:, does this not work for everyone? I have tried to get my web site host to update their mail list program, but not a lot of luck...perhaps this week.<br><br>
As far as starting with FFFFFFF, is there a simple test I can do to find out one way or the other? I can fill a section of RAM with either FF or 00 and then run the signature on it...would that help? I do know that when I last looked at this that if I did a signature on a single byte the signature was the same as the data in the byte, so if the data was &quot;AE&quot; then the signature would be &quot;00AE&quot;.<br><br>
I can send you known files and signatures for same, I'd need to get that info tomorrow though I don't have it at home. The signatures for Asteroids Eproms (RV2?) are: F1 - 53C9, E1 - 3D7A, C1 - 232F, NP3 - CBED though...I can send you those files if you don't have them...<br><br>
John :-#)#<br><br>
At 02:47 PM 06/05/2002 -0700, Zonn wrote:<br><br>
You left out a couple of things though.<br><br>
What is the initial value of the CRC register (0000 or FFFF -- I assume it is 16<br>
bits), and are the results inverted?<br><br>
For example: CRC32 starts with an FFFFFFFF and inverts the results.<br><br>
Starting with an FFFF allows leading zeros to be counted as part of the CRC, if<br>
you start with 0000, leading zeros will be ignored. Inverting the results has<br>
some advantages, but I don't remember what they were. But I guess it depends on<br>
how the designers of the 9010a did things.<br><br>
Ideally you can answer the above questions and give me a file, or two, with<br>
known signatures, and I should be able to whip up a utility shortly.<br><br>
-Zonn<br><br>
BTW: It sure is a pain to respond to the list, I have to manually type<br>
&quot;ThechToolsList@flippers.com&quot;, shouldn't there be an easier way? :^)<br><br>
On Mon, 06 May 2002 14:02:30 -0700, John Robertson &lt;jrr@flippers.com&gt; wrote:<br><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;What we need is for some bright person to write a simple utility that <br>
&gt;converts data files to signatures. The signature formula is fairly simple <br>
&gt;and if combined with Bill Ung's ROMSUM would be a nice tool for our <br>
&gt;package. If you don't know ROMSUM it is a dos utility that will give a <br>
&gt;checksum listing plus the ROM size for a single or group of files...<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;The Signature process is a CRC process that uses the following feedback <br>
&gt;equation: X(to the 16th) + X(to the 12th) + X(to the 9th) +X(to the 7th) + <br>
&gt;1 or<br>
&gt;P(X) = X(15th) + X(9th) + X(7th) +X(4th) + 1<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;So who wants to make a simple (not for me!) binary program that allows one <br>
&gt;to input a file and outputs it's signature?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;John :-#)#<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;At 09:11 AM 06/05/2002 -0400, Kev wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;Anyone written any test scripts for these or at the very least have some<br>
&gt;&gt;checksum signatures?<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;Thanks,<br>
&gt;&gt;Kev<br>