Re: Fluke Tapes

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Wed Jun 19 2002 - 16:55:43 EDT

<x-flowed>
Fluke tapes are made by Verbatim and Braemar. These are the only tapes that
will work. The drive is a special one unfortunately but is often
serviceable. I find that a 3.2CM drive belt replaces the old one in the
drive by the way.

There are a couple of people here with spare blank tapes they might sell
you. I can make copies of tapes for others that don't have RS-232, but I
might have to charge (trades?) for this service, others with working drives
should be able to help you as well build a library of tapes for common repairs.

As for the RS-232 option, it should be possible to make a simple modern
adapter to replace the old monster block, it isn't that fancy - just data
lines going to a 232 IC, surely there are simpler solutions, like hack an
old PC serial port card to take the place...

John :-#)#

At 03:00 PM 19/06/2002 -0400, Greg Baumgratz wrote:

>Ok, I'll ask...are the Fluke tapes proprietary or will others work?
>
>I was lucky enough to buy a 9010a advertised as 'can be used with a PC'
>that doesn't have the RS232 option. Now, what does the PC do? Yell at
>the 9010?
>
>On a related note - anyone have a dead 9010 with the RS232 option that I
>can cannibalize?
>
>Thanks,
>Greg

</x-flowed>