Re: If you could wish for anything....

From: Kev <KKlopp_at_erols.com>
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 22:51:26 EDT

>I'm trying to design too much stuff and resulting in getting nothing
>done. So let's see what interest there is in any of this stuff.
>
>Test monitor. A small (12" or under) black and white vector monitor
>that couldn't be damaged by bad boards. I have a small number of vector
>yokes that would fit a 20 mm neck b&w tube. A bullet proof deflection
>board is easy enough for a small monitor. I also have 300+ Sony
>flybacks laying around that could power a small tube. I even have some
>5" tubes, but that may be too small. Any ideas if this is a worthwhile
>project to pursue and what size tube would be ideal.

Isn't this called an Oscilloscope? ;-)

>Replacement for Keltron. Kind of goes back to the 300+ Sony flybacks
>above. Pursue it or drop it?

I'd rather see the Cinematronics to WG/Electrohome monitor adapter.

Replacement for 19 KV vector high voltage power supplies. Supposedly
>everyone is about to announce this one. Mine is based on the flyback
>used in the WG K7000. Turns out there is a company that makes flybacks
>(HR Diemen) that makes a replacement for the K7000 flyback. For all I
>know they might even be the OEM for them. MCM Electronics sells the HR
>part at a decent price. The advantages to using this particular part,
>as I see it, are 1) availability, 2) price, 3) already know it is likely
>to work with our tubes, 4) has a built-in HV bleeder to discharge the
>CRT, 5) can be it's own isolation transformer if run off the power
>line. Should I keep running with this or let others come out with
>competing products and hope they work?

Don't know but I would be worried about Supply & demand (forces quality up &
price down....)

>Entire vector monitor. I presently have possible CRT/yoke combinations
>tracked down for 19", 25", 27", and 33". I think I also have an
>indestructible deflection board design. Cut bait or run? What's the
>most likely to be useful sizes?

25" replacements for Sitdown Star wars is a small market. I doubt too many
people would be hacking 25"+ vector cabinets ( but if you could create an
all in one adapter for any XY game input so people could make a multi-vector
cabinet)....

>Replacement G08 deflection board. Same indestructible design I
>mentioned above. Do it or chew it?

This would be cool! BUT again I like the idea of mixing Atari,
Cinematronics & Sega on the same monitor....

>Replacement for Fluke 9010A that interfaces a Fluke pod to a computer.
>Any need for it?

John Robertson is all for this. Would you write a completely new front end
for it or emulate the 9010 processor so that you can run existing scripts?
This is limited by the number of usable pods available.

>Universal pod for Fluke 9010A. One pod with interchangeable cartridges
>to handle just about any processor used in arcade games, including a few
>that Fluke never supported. Would probably kill the market for Fluke
>pods (great...after I just bought a bunch of them...). Any interest?

This would be awesome.! 30410 processor etc. My only concern is how big a
market is there for this? Would Fluke repair units become as common as
EPROM burners?

>Any interest in anyone helping to build any of this?

I'll beta test the Fluke stuff :-0 , help if I can.

Kev