Re: Tek 85xx development docs?

From: Jeff N K Yeo <yeonk_at_pacific.net.sg>
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 23:21:42 EST

<x-flowed>

Hello,

I used to work on one of these in the early 80's, targeted at the Z80.
The system comes in 2 big boxes with a HSI "high speed link" between them.
The bottom box which manages the 2 8" floppies was run by a DEC LSI-11.

Yes, the floppies (if they still exist) can be duplicated (even the system
disk)
after you have booted into system (using the system disk). The console
instructions was in some scaled down form of UNIX.

The system I used was unreliable and cost a lot to fix. I have studied the
internal circuitry and it seems to be an overly complicated ICE system
(compared to the Zilog or the Intel Intellec system of the same genre).

The company at which I worked eventually went belly up, and they junked
the system.

If you are trying to use it as an ICE, it may be better to look at the
Microtek ICEs which are PC hosted. The only thing you lose out will
be the "virtual IOs" function on the TEKxx.

Hope this helps, Jeff

At 04:49 PM 10/30/02 -0800, Tom McClintock wrote:

>Anyone have any Tek 85xx development docs? I'm hoping
>to get some big 8" floppies created on on of their
>development stations read. FWIW, the discs in question
>are double-sided.
>
>Should be interesting if the data can be read...
>
>Thanks,
>tom

</x-flowed>