Re: Fluke 9100 keyboard adapter (call for interest)

From: <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Sun Jun 01 2003 - 15:46:36 EDT

David,

Look into www.futurlec.com 's offerings. They offer development boards "really
cheap". You can't even get small qty PC boards made at these prices.

For instance:

  http://www.futurlec.com/ATDevBoard.html

is an AT90S2313 development board with full, on board, RS-232 drivers. There is
an app-note on Atmel site about using an AVR processor as a PC-keyboard (though
you want to read a keyboard, not be one, but some of the example might still
apply). The higher end boards (AT90S8535 and ATMega boards) also include an
synchronous serial port that may work with the PC keyboards, making software
very simple. The AT90S2313 only has the RS-232 port, not the synchronous port.

I prefer the Atmel series processors over the PIC's for a variety of reason
which are probably OT. But they also have a line of PIC dev boards as well as
8051 dev boards.

Pick your processor, don't worry about perf or PCB's! At these prices it's not
worth doing it yourself!

I have bought some of these boards from Futurlec, their biggest drawback is it
takes a while to get things (a couple of weeks). From what I can tell, they're
an Australian company that distributes Asian built products.

-Zonn

PS Let me know and I can send you some buffered IRQ driven RS-232 routines for
the AT90S2313 (or any AVR processor).