Re: Memory tester

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Tue Jul 08 2003 - 15:01:57 EDT

With the speed of the new microcontrollers, you might be able to test old memory
speeds with very little glue logic, just stick a socket on a development board
and write some firmware.

For instances a 16mhz Atmel processor, using inline code, could access memory as
fast as 62.5ns.

I don't know the specs of all the listed chips, but 62.5ns was pretty fast back
in the olden days. You mentioned 80ns to 250ns.

The only problem would be resolution of the tests would be low, your test speeds
would be limited to:

62.5, 125, 187.5 and 250ns, etc.

The scenix processors run faster and they also have many 1 cycle instructions,
though I don't know about their I/O speeds. They may be a better choice for
this.

-Zonn