Re: [techtoolslist] Pong

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 22:15:20 EDT

<x-html>
Maybe not a crack wiz (not sure if I like that image ;-) but have fixed a
few in my time...<br><br>
At 08:00 PM 29/09/2003 -0400, James Bright wrote:<br><br>
with Ping boards (Am I right? Memory is vague on this one). Figure Id try
something a little different in the mean time and look at a couple of
non-CPU based boards
Ive got the schems (no manual), so wanted to ask a few general questions.
Ive included the pinout that I have below for reference. I believe it to
be the correct one. <br>
off of +5 and gnd and ignore the xformer. Looking at the schems (they are
*<b>very</b>* fuzzy in the version Im looking at), that looks to be it.
Guess Im half thinking aloud here&amp;<br>
Yes, they generally all ran off ordinary +5VDC - took about 3amps
AIR.<br><br>
Monitor. I see a composite sync line on the schems, but note explicitly
documented in the wire diagram. But Im guessing that you can just pick a
color (or tie all three together) and just run it into a normal monitor.
These games were usually B&amp;W composite. Look for the VIDEO line,
ground being the other. Unshielded twisted pair ran up to the
Motorola/Wells Gardner/Ball Brothers monitor.<br><br>
Interesting.&nbsp;&nbsp; <br>
ANT was for forcing a reset on the board if someone tried to zap it for a
free play...it was a piece of wire about 18&quot; long and if it picked
up a spike would clear the TTL registers.<br><br>
playing around with it tonight during MNF. I do have a Pong on hand right
now, so I can also peek inside. Just much easier to run the thing on my
bench.<br>
You can follow the image through the board if you make a Video Probe -
essentially a wire probe with a resistor (something like 10k) in series
and tied to the video input of the monitor. You can then visually trace
ATARI is great for this information - was up on Spies but I can email you
a PDF of it.<br><br>
Paddles were usually 10K pots wired across the +5/ground so the wiper
would go from around 4V to around 1V - this was fed into a 555 that would
change it's output pulse length in accordance.<br><br>
John :-#)#<br>
Restored </font>Arcade Games for your Home <br>

</x-html>