Re: [techtoolslist] Monitor bench setup (was Pong)

From: Andy Welburn <andy_at_andys-arcade.com>
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 22:19:36 EDT

> Okay, this is something that is very interesting to talk about because I
> have built a few monitor hook ups and have yet to find the "ideal"
solution.
> I currently run a 13" monitor off my bench that has a few simple switches
> switch into composite mode. It can only handle negative sync right now, so
> it I have to run a bypass when I'm running Williams Defender type of
games.
> And if I recall correctly, Mortal Kombat boards (usually I am just testing
> them) are special too. My notes aren't in front of me... so it's fuzzy. (I
> seem to remember having to run each H and V sync line separately for MK.)

the monitor handles composite (negative) sync on the jamma, and the
composite sync is negative too...

Most games (like defender) can be jumpered on the cpu board for negative
composite sync output...

i've never had a problem with mortal kombat, thats just normal negative
composite sync, a la standard jamma?

> What do you do when you have positive sync? Or does the Amiga monitor have
> mode for that?

nope it doesn't have a mode for it, i usually modify the board if it takes
it, or i add an inverter on the jamma connector..

> Not being familiar with the Amiga monitors, are you talking
> about the 1080, 1084 monitors? Or something else. I'd keep my eyes open
for
> one to try out. There is a flea market near here and chances are I could
get
> something pretty cheap.

there are a few types, look for the ones with both RGB inputs (either with a
9 pin D-plug or a SCART socket) the one i use daily is a Philips CM8833 it
also has a built in stereo sound amp, good for games without audio amps, and
despite what people tell you, good with pcbs that have amps too.. there are
other monitors i have used in the past, but i forget the model numbers, i'm
pretty sure i used a commodore 1084s for a few years too before selling it
on to a psx user who wanted to play import games in RGB.. (yes, when psx's
were popular hehe)

> (Come to think of it... I believe I have an old Apple II mono monitor
lying
> around. That'd probably work for this Pong.)

quite possibly.. i find its deasy to have one monitor for all arcade use..

one thing i would say tho, the philips didn't require adjusting, but the
commodore monitor i have used all needed the H.Freq adjusting internally
with a pot hidden on the main board.. becasue it wont sync up to a lot of
jamma games from the word go.. I found it would sync up to later konami
games (late 80's early nineties) but nothing else, simply put on a pcb that
wont syncand ddjust the pot till it syncs, once adjusted, i never had to
touch it again, and that is using it with over 100 pcbs without problems..

Also, these monitors are looking for RGB on a 2v peak to peak maximum, so
some jamma games (especially namco pcbs, and some later sega's) look really
bright.. i live with it as its not too bad if you're jkust using it as a
test monitor.. you could add a proprietry circuit to limit the RGB with some
resistors or something, something i may build into my rat9000 once i build
it, but its ok for now.

Also, Acorn Archimedes computers also used the philips range of monitors
(essentially the same as the amiga types) but i don't think Acorn computers
had much market penetration in north america, so its unlikely you will find
acorn monitors over there, they are dead common here as they were used in
every school in the land before PC's took over...

> --James Bright
> www.QuarterArcade.com
> Restored Arcade Games for your Home

hope it helps..