Re: Crystal circuits

From: Jeff N K Yeo <yeonk_at_pacific.net.sg>
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 05:32:54 EDT

<x-html>
Hello,<br><br>
The small caps are usually used to prevent the crystal from oscillating
in the overtone<br>
mode and are usually in the 10's of pF range (value depends on crystal
characteristics).<br><br>
0.1uF just shorted out even the crystal's fundamental to GND and so no
oscillation.<br><br>
Hope this helps. Jeff<br><br>
At 11:58 PM 10/20/03 -0700, David Shoemaker wrote:<br>
those of you on the vector list will have already seen this.&nbsp; Sent
it to the wrong list.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
vectorlist:</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
wedge boards I realized I didn't have any 22pf caps.&nbsp; So I tossed a
pair of 100pf caps onto my breadboard of the circuit and everything
worked great.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
realized I only had two of the 100pf caps and as I wanted to leave the
breadboard version intact for now so I grabbed a pair of .1uf
caps.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
work.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
go.&nbsp; Got to wondering if maybe the value of those caps is really
important and realized I have NO idea how to spec them nor even what they
do.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
for the crystal caps.&nbsp; The 100pfs do work, but I wonder now if I
just got lucky.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
the Monolithic ceramic disc?</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>