Re: AOL bouncing any suggestions? (Fwd: Returned mail: see transcript for details)

From: Greg Baumgratz <GBaumgratz_at_TeckTel.com>
Date: Mon Nov 24 2003 - 09:58:19 EST

<x-flowed>
I would guess there is not so much you can do about it unless you can
reach them. I do not really see in the returned message that you listed
that they have you listed as a domain to not recieve mail from. There
is only a '554 TRANSACTION FAILED 554 AOL will not accept delivery of
this message' informational message. Doesn't seem to really explain
anything. As for refusing mail from a sender based on such reasoning is
fruitless. Suppose you spammed aol with email claiming to be from aol.
Would they block themselves for receiving mail from themselves? That
would be interesting. Anyway, any reputable mail server spam system
should verify that the mail is actually coming from a mail server
designated to transport mail for the said domain before deciding to
block the sending domain. Many are adapting to be able to verify this
before even accepting mail. In other words, if you are claiming to be
from a domain, your mail delivery better be sent by mailservers list in
your DNS entries or I will not accept it for processing. It could be as
you say calling it spam because it looks like there are multiple
reciepients list. Never know unless they tell you. I would hate to be
with aol and subscribed to mailing lists if that were the case.

In short, that says nothing for your problem, but it gives me time to
spout off about mail. Isn't spam fun?

Just keep trying to contact aol and have them explain there message if
possible. Let us know if you have any luck. Maybe try sending an email
to a single user at aol expecting your message and have them contact aol
to ask why it is failing. Sometimes, but not always, the customer is
actually important to a company. In this case, you are probably just
one in a million complaining that aol is refusing your messages and they
probably have little concern for your complaints.

~Greg

John Robertson wrote:

> Due to that stupid virus that steals email headers it appears that my
> domain is banished from AOL. Has anyone an idea how these people can
> continue to receive their mail? Haven't had an infection on any of my
> computers in years - but I happen to be in a lot of email address
> books....
>
> Or does AOL call list messages spam as they go to a number of people
> within a single domain?
>
> My attempts to reach tech support at AOL have proven fruitless.
>
> John :-#(#
>

>> Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 00:49:38 -0800
>> From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@flippers.com>
>> To: owner-techtoolslist@flippers.com
>> Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details
>> Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure)
>>

>> The original message was received at Fri, 21 Nov 2003 00:42:04 -0800
>> from flip@localhost
>>
>> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
>> amplifone@aol.com
>> (reason: 554 TRANSACTION FAILED 554 AOL will not accept delivery
>> of this message)
>> (expanded from: :include:/var/lib/majordomo/lists/techtoolslist)

If you ever want to (un)subscribe yourself with TTL, you can send mail to:
<Majordomo@flippers.com>
with the following command in the body of your email message:
(un)subscribe techtoolslist
or from another email account, besides xxx@yyy.com:
(un)subscribe techtoolslist xxx@yyy.com

</x-flowed>