Finding shorts on Pac boards???

From: <Electronicamuse_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 11:40:18 EST

I have a short stack of boards that I put aside for a rainy day (or a
brainstorm). These all have some degree of +5/GND shorts. I have removed the
socketed parts and verified that the problem isn't in the PS section. Also checked
other easy things like solder-side bent pins, etc. So, are there any easy,
common problems with these? I have repaired many other types of boards, and
just don't see this happen on other platforms. Maybe with the onboard PS, when
it dies harshly, it shorts a TTL badly or something. I know that with a good
DMM, you should be able to better pinpoint the problem area by checking
resistance, etc. Randy Fromm has written articles of using an external +5 source to
find a shorted node, but I am not sure if that applies here. Ideas?

So, to be clear of the situation on these boards, they all show a bad +5,
although the PS section seems good. Resistance between +5 and GND is less than
70 Ohms, where on my DMM, the value is usually 180 or so.

TIA

Dave

If you ever want to (un)subscribe yourself with TTL, you can send mail to:
<Majordomo@flippers.com>
with the following command in the body of your email message:
(un)subscribe techtoolslist
or from another email account, besides xxx@yyy.com:
(un)subscribe techtoolslist xxx@yyy.com