US power issues...

From: Andy Welburn <warlords_at_punkass.com>
Date: Wed May 12 2004 - 15:55:03 EDT

Hi all..

I have a few queries that might not be specifically on-topic, so I
apologise in advance if this seems off-topic, if someone feels they can
help and wish to do so off-list then please do, but some of my questions
are videogame related, so its sortof on topic :)

Basically I have to do a study on converting a UK videogame show to be
used in America on tour. The show has already toured most of Europe over
the past few years, and the show will now move to America in early 2005,
to run for maybe several years traveling across the north American
continent :)

The show has approximately 200 working videogames, mainly home consoles
and computers, Video Arcade Games do feature, but on a small scale, and
the likelihood is that I will source the machines while I am over there.

Ok, so having imported plenty of machines from the US already, there is
a certain problem that crops up all too often, it's the 50/60hz cycle
issue.

Several things happen in video arcade games when they are imported form
the states and used over here. Once the usual voltage has been
stepped-down with a transformer, or when the existing transformers have
been rewired to accept 240v, that's usually it.

However, the fluorescent lights are another matter. The ballast
transformers are designed for 60hz power systems, so when they run at
50hz, several things happen :

- 1. Nothing... the thing works just fine for years.
- 2. You get a sort of 'pulsing' that is hard to see, but its there...
- 3. It works fine for 6 months, then one day it just shorts out and
blows the main fuse in the house/cabinet etc... time to change it...
- 4. It works fine then one day spontaneously combusts, spewing forth
acrid smoke, sometimes blowing fuses.
- 5. It continues to work fine, and then one day you smell burning...
the transformer has gotten so hot that it continues to work, but the
heat it has generated has burned the surrounding wooden housing, which
itself catches light.

The decision from now on is to replace them lock stock and barrel to
prevent any of the above happening...

Anyway, so, there is a 50/60hz problem.. from my limited research I have
found that the difference in duty cycle means the transformer is working
17% faster, harder, hotter, and draws 17% more power etc...

My question is, what happens when you turn the tables? The exhibition
uses around 350 flourescent tubes installed in game 'pods' and I need to
know if I sort the line voltage problem by stepping up, will I encounter
the same 50/60 problem?

If anyone can help with an answer to that, or has experience of the
same, please get in touch..

The second question is about domestic TV sets, we have 150 or so of
these too, my question is not about video standards, that is not an
issue, my question is, would the different duty cycle stuff up the set
if it relied on the duty cycle for timing at all? Is this a known issue?
I have yet to get an answer from the manufacturer, usual story, nobody
technical enough on hand to answer the question properly.

Thanks for your endurance in reading this post :) Any help greatly
appreciated.

Andy Welburn
www.andys-arcade.com

If you ever want to (un)subscribe yourself with TTL, you can send mail to:
<Majordomo@flippers.com>
with the following command in the body of your email message:
(un)subscribe techtoolslist
or from another email account, besides xxx@yyy.com:
(un)subscribe techtoolslist xxx@yyy.com