RAM tester project

From: joemagiera <joemagiera_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 15:05:51 EST

Those that know me will think I'm in way over my head on this. I might
agree with them, but I'd like to try. Since I can't find anything on the
'net, I'm toying with the idea of building a RAM tester. Specifically, I'd
like to start with a 4116 tester. Heck I figure if I can get that to work,
it should be a snap to test other types of RAM. I recall someone on this
list from South America (Brazil?) was attempting the same project but sadly
we never heard from him again.

I admit up front, I have no background in this type of stuff, but I do have
a willingness to try.

My long range general idea so far is to have a fairly large breadboard with
25 ZIF sockets on it. From there, wire the appropriate voltage pins to a
common point so I can supply power via a switching power supply. That in
itself is probably enough of a challenge for me, but assuming I can do that
(and that's a pretty big assumption), then what? I'd like to have it
interface with a PC to run a program to test the RAMs at various speeds. I
know pretty vague, but that's where I'm looking for your input.

Thoughts? Ideas? Advice? Any comments appreciated. Thanks,

Joe
joemagiera@ameritech.net