Re: ms pac voltage trouble

From: <martin_at_guddler.co.uk>
Date: Fri Mar 18 2005 - 17:08:48 EST

Kev, this answers your question i think...

Honest, in certain circumstances it can (and does) work. It may help that i'm
not so technically minded just yet so i look at it from a more logical point
of view. I don't know all the ins and outs of why maybe it didn't ought to
work, but from a simplistic point of view:

If you stick a good chip on top of a good chip you should see no difference,
both chips will do exactly the same (unless maybe they are different speeds or
something) and you should see no difference in the game. Granted, do it with
the power on, and if it's program ram you'll almost definately crash the
program. Not sure about video ram. Bottom line you shouldn't really do it with
the power on - but surely everyone knows that anyway :)

If you put a good chip on top of a bad chip then at the very least i'd expect
to see a difference. Yes, if it's program ram it may not suddenly make the
program run since the outputs from the chip could affect the good one. Seeing
a difference warrants further investigation in that area, you can be lucky and
find it solves it completely.

So, in the case of the Frogger, i did admittedly have a bit of a head start.
Half the screen was full of rubbish, the other half fine so i knew it was a
video fault of some sort. Powered off, put a good ram on top of one of the two
2114s in the video ram, switched back on, perfect screen. Switch off, remove
it, crap back again.

Bingo, fault found.

Something i always do with things like galaxians and in this case frogger
simply because it's quick and easy to try befor digging even a logic probe or
meter out.

Going back to the original post, i don't know if it will help or not since i
don't remember what the original problem was (and am recompiling my OS so have
no email history), my point was merely if it appears to be a graphics issue,
give it a try it'll take no time. Just be careful not to short anything out or
other.

Something that works for me and now i'll shut up since i've waffled on far too
much already :) YMMV

Regards,
Martin.