Re: HV probe recommendations?

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Sat Apr 08 2006 - 22:12:18 EDT

At 8:35 PM -0500 4/8/06, Rodger Boots wrote:
>joemagiera wrote:
>
>>Anyone have any recommendations on a HV probe? What to look for? What to
>>avoid? Models? etc. Thanks,
>>
>>Joe
>>

>There are 2 basic types, ones with a built-in meter and ones that
>are just a divider and connect to either an external meter or
>oscilloscope. If you're just going to use it on monitors or TV sets
>the internal meter ones will do.
>
>The external meter type can do more, such as work on AC sources like
>microwave ovens, and they can be used to see ripple voltages. These
>are only accurate when used with a meter or 'scope with the correct
>input resistance. If they are made for 10 Mohm they will read right
>on a DVM, but you'll have to do some corrections if direct connected
>to a 'scope (1 Mohm input), but if used with a 10:1 scope probe you
>would have 10 Mohms which would be correct.
>
>There are always HV probes on eBay. A couple of external meter
>types are
><http://cgi.ebay.com/FLUKE-HV-PROBE-MODEL-80K-40HV-GO-TO-40KV_W0QQitemZ7607856709QQcategoryZ50971QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>item
><http://cgi.ebay.com/FLUKE-HV-PROBE-MODEL-80K-40HV-GO-TO-40KV_W0QQitemZ7607856709QQcategoryZ50971QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>7607856709
>and
><http://cgi.ebay.com/FLUKE-80K-40-HV-High-Voltage-Probe_W0QQitemZ7606210499QQcategoryZ50971QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>item
><http://cgi.ebay.com/FLUKE-80K-40-HV-High-Voltage-Probe_W0QQitemZ7606210499QQcategoryZ50971QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>7606210499.
>Examples of internal meter probes would be
><http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HIGH-VOLTAGE-TEST-PROBE-MODEL-2900A_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43989QQitemZ4627936643QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW>item
><http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HIGH-VOLTAGE-TEST-PROBE-MODEL-2900A_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43989QQitemZ4627936643QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW>4627936643
>and
><http://cgi.ebay.com/30-K-V-HIGH-VOLTAGE-PROBE_W0QQitemZ7608295497QQcategoryZ50971QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>item
><http://cgi.ebay.com/30-K-V-HIGH-VOLTAGE-PROBE_W0QQitemZ7608295497QQcategoryZ50971QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>7608295497.

I prefer the internal meter for our shop HV probe. It is compact and
the lads automatically use it to discharge all monitors. I know that
only the XY ones seem to have a problem with diode failure when
shorted by a jumper wire, but using the probe to discharge all
monitors reduces the risk of forgetting on a B&W XY.

Small write-up on discharging monitors for the newbies:
http://www.flippers.com/vid-tips.html#discharge