Re: Fluke 9010a 68000 Pod Eprom Testing on Outrun - help please !!

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Wed Jun 09 2010 - 15:40:21 EDT

Alex Yeckley wrote:
>> Now these are 64k Roms x 8 bits each...... but I'm unable to run ROM tests
>> here..... It fails on checksum....!!!!!!!!!!
>>

> Initial thoughts: Are QuarterArcade's checksum values verified? Different
> ROM rev perhaps? Any copy protection used on OutRun?
>
> Alex
> ----
> ayeckley@elektronforge.com
> www.elektronforge.com

I like to write down the first few bytes (reading from burner or file
copy) of any Eprom I am looking at with the Fluke 9010 so I can do a
simple Fluke READ at the location I think the Eprom is at - then check
the next few locations against the known contents of the Eprom (file) to
verify that I have most likely found the Eprom memory location to run
the Signature test.

This is done after a Buss Test to make sure no control lines are held
Hi/Lo that shouldn't be, and probably a RAM test to make sure that the
address and data lines are toggling happily...

The way to double check your Eprom Signature (remember that the Fluke
9010 uses Flukes own Signature, not Checksums for Eprom/ROM/PROMs unless
you activate the Pod's Quick Test (if available)) is to read the Eprom
on your burner, store the file, then generate the Signature using the
ROM section of the FIDE Software section of:

http://tech.quarterarcade.com/tech/

Very handy program, and thanks as always to James for hosting that!

James, you might want to update your page:

http://www.quarterarcade.com/Content/Articles/Confessions.aspx

as it was written in 2001 when you just turned 30...

John ;-#)#