Re: FLUKE 9100A SCSI to CF Adapter - Success with Stratos CF AZTECMONSTER

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Tue Feb 05 2013 - 13:52:51 EST

John Robertson wrote:
> techtools-steve wrote:
>> I received a couple emails inquiring about the SCSI to CF adapter I
>> used so here are the details. Everything you need is currently
>> available at a reasonable price and the physical installation was
>> rather painless.
>>
>> The adapter I used is the Stratos CF AZTECMONSTER and you can buy one
>> direct from Japan http://www.artmix.com/CF_AztecMonster.html but I
>> found it easier and with significantly cheaper shipping to pick one
>> up on ebay. There were multiple listings for the board on ebay
>> yesterday but it appears each had multiple bidders and closed above
>> the starting price.
>>
>> My FLUKE 9100A has the V6 roms installed and was configured using
>> Service Disk 1.4. I have successfully loaded the v4-1b software with
>> the v6.1 update pending availability of new disks (hint-hint Andre)!
>
> You speak of V6 roms, whereas I thought the last version was the V5
> for 40MB SCSI upgrade as I have those on Flippers. If you have
> something labelled V6 I'd love a copy to see if that may have an
> effect on my AztecMonster integration.
>>
>> http://arcadehacking.com/public/fluke/FLUKE9100A_CF_AZTECHMONSTER_01.jpg
>>
>> I hope this info helps someone else unbrick their Fluke 9100 after a
>> fatal hard disk failure.
> Well, not so far!
>
> I have been unable to get any of my 9100s including the 9100FT/68030
> to recognize the Aztecmonster with a Transcribe 128MB CF card at all.
> Keep getting errors when the unit tries to format the drive. The cable
> and machine handle a regular SCSI drive just fine so I have to wonder
> if you have anything unusual in your setup.
>
> I get this error with the AzetecMonster:
>
> "Error Setting 512/Sector Format" followed by "sensekey:05 additional:26"
>
> Using an ACARD ACE7720U with an IDE to CF adapter I get this error
> message...
>
> "Can't seek to track 0" followed by "sensekey:05 additional:26"
>
> Any SCSI experts here who can interpret these messages?
>
> I've tried other CF cards, but all I had were 512MB and larger, the
> 128 was the only 'small' card here.
>
> Thanks!
>
> John :-#)#

Just tried some "SMART Modular Technologies" 64MB cards and still no
joy. Has anyone else been successful with the AztecMonster and if so,
which brand and size of cards did you use?

Steve, I see that you used Kodak 128MB successfully, have you tried any
other cards?

The manufacturer of the AztecMonster has been of little use, in response
to my question:

I'm sorry, but I must be doing something wrong...the device is not
working in my application which is to replace a regular SCSI hard drive
in a piece of Fluke test gear - the 9100 series of microprocessor
testers. Two of my Fluke 9100A units (both of which boot fine from the
hard drive and can format regular SCSI drives) fail to format the CF card.

I get the error message "Error Setting 512/Sector Format" followed by
"sensekey:05 additional:26"

The operating system is OS9 (industrial, not Apple).

I hope you can help solve this!

He replied:

Dear Sir.

Please try to use slower and lesser volume CF card, such as SanDisk
256KB. Best Regards. Manabu Sakai

- artmix

So I said:

Hi Manabu,

I've tried a Transcend 128mb CF card with no change in the results. The
test equipment this is being used for is Fluke 9100, runs OS9 (68000),
and an early SCSI interface (1989 design). What else can I try? The SCSI
interface WILL format SCSI hard drives - currently the hard drives I
have tested with the same setup are Conner CP-3040 and a CP-3080, and
both formatted successfully. I hope you have some other suggestions -
perhaps a jumper needs soldering, etc? The Aztec appears to require the
"T" setting (Drive 0) to work - which matches the hard drive settings.
Thanks!
John :-#)#

However his reply to this was:

I am sorry to say that I do not advice any more. Best Regards. Manabu Sakai

- artmix

Thanks,

John :-#(#

                 www.flippers.com