Re: RASTER: FW: Using 8080 pod on Midway 8080 boards (Space Invaders)

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Fri Feb 22 2013 - 01:10:20 EST

David Shoemaker wrote:
> Hmm, ok well that doesn't bode well for my pods.
>
> I can't get anything close to a reliable memory test and no Run UUT success.
> I often get pod power failure. This is on a known good working board set.
>
> Both my pods have the short flat cables. I see another 8080 up on ebay with
> a longer twisted pair style cable but they are asking $200 for it. No way I
> am doing that at this point.

Ah, well that is different. I too have had trouble with the pods on the
Midway 8080 systems. Have you tried the resistor trick that Andrew
pointed out? I'm going to be testing a reluctant board set soon and am
looking forward to getting reliable RAM etc tests. I do have the Midway
RAM Test card and that is a big help, but it would be best if the pod
worked properly.

Short flat ribbons work fine on my Z80 pod running a Galaga so I see no
reason they wouldn't work on an 8080 pod. The advantage to the twisted
pair cable is it can be longer making it easier to move the pod out of
the way.

John :-#)#

                 www.flippers.com