Re: RASTER: FW: Using 8080 pod on Midway 8080 boards (Space Invaders)

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Fri Feb 22 2013 - 15:39:45 EST

David Shoemaker wrote:
> Any chance I could have you open one up and look at the ground lead on the
> twisted pin cable? I have an 8085 pod I tried to borrow the twisted pair
> cable from and it has the shield ground tied to pin 20. That doesn't work
> on the 8080 as that pin is +5. Ground should be tied to pin 2. I am
> wondering how they did that I suspect it is in the potted UUT end as I don't
> see anything on the connector end.
>
> David

Hi David,

I've taken these pods apart enough times to tell you this off the top of
my head. The twisted pair cable is broken out for one row alternately
inside the pod case, one wire goes to a common metal strip, the other to
the pin header. The strips are tied together and have a short jumper
wire that simply goes to the screw on the left end of the connector.

At the encapsulated end all the grey ground wires appear to be tied
together as well as to any ground pins on the plug.

So you can't exchange shielded cables between different pods UNLESS they
have the same ground connections on the CPU.

John :-#)#

                 www.flippers.com