Re: Fluke 9010A Install with FIDE

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots2_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Apr 12 2013 - 23:35:29 EDT

Another possible way to help your problem is to decrease the baud rate.
What typically happens at high baud rates is that data transfers fine until
you hit a carriage return, then all the data that was just sent has to be
processed. If the sender keeps going you overrun the character buffer in
the receiving device. Something as old as a 29A wouldn't handle more than
2 characters before overflowing. That's where handshaking comes in. But
if you use hardware handshaking (the best choice at high speeds), the
device stops the computer from sending until it's ready to go again.

But you can run without any handshaking if the baud rate is low enough.

So if you set the baud rate to something nasty slow (like 1200 or less) and
the two machines then worked THAT would tell you that handshaking is the
problem. At least gives a clue.