Speeding up the 9100...

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Wed Jun 26 2013 - 19:17:25 EDT

A few people have noted how much slower the 9100 is than the 9100FT, so
it got me to wondering what might be done to improve things.

First of all the 68010 CPU is pin for pin compatible upgrade and
apparently Atari ST and Amiga folks used to replace the 68000 with the
slightly faster 68010 (around 10% improvement or more - some code
restrictions that may or may not matter).

Second, the 68000 had clock speeds up to 16.67 (the 9100 uses 8mHz) so
I'm curious if a little bit of wiring mods might get a gain there.

Mostly I'm throwing these ideas out there in the hope that someone will
dig further and may actually have some results, I'm a bit busy right now
with business stuff...

Discussion?