Re: Data I/O 29B on Windows 7?

From: Andrew Welburn <andy_at_andysarcade.net>
Date: Mon Jul 08 2013 - 11:15:06 EDT

Just throwing my two pence in... i've just retired my windows XP PC now
because i tried out DOSbox on my win7x64 machine (which has an old
fashioned DB9 serial port!) and it works great.

On an older pc i had the same issue i'm getting now, if you turn the 29b
on, and let it go into 'remote mode' and dont send it any commands in
the first 30 seconds, you'll get an 'i/o timeout error 46' on the
display, so you have to reboot it. Just turn the 29b on, run promlink
and hit ctrl+p, this will just blip a command to the programmer to stop
it timing out. The programmer is then good for the rest of the time you
choose to use it, whether its doing stuff or idle, it wont timeout
again. Strange little quirk, but i'm very happy it works great on DOSbox
under win7 x64, very simple to setup, just run the config batch file and
configure the com port and you're done! I mount d:\ as my roms directory
on my hard drive, but you have to remember that promlink/dosbox only
sees the file listing as it was when the program was first run, if you
add or move files around in windows then drop back into dosbox/promlink,
it wont see the file changes..

enjoy!

Andrew Welburn
http://www.andys-arcade.com