Re: WANTED : in-circuit IC tester

From: Dan Roganti <ragooman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jul 31 2013 - 12:39:14 EDT

Hello,

I hope you don't mind me chiming in on this thread. I've been subscribed to
this list for a while now but I haven't had much chance lately to read
everything. But I'm glad I did now.

I haven't seen a portable ICT ike this before. It would be great to find
one like this, as I build/repair all sorts of vintage equipment, arcades as
well as computers. In the 70s and 80s we had one that was built into a
desk, with a control panel, the various test cables, and floppy drives to
hold test programs. I still can't remember who made this, but it was very
powerful. It would have a library for almost every digital chip for its
time, both TTL and CMOS. And then you can customize the tests by writing
your own programs. For each circuit card, even when they use the same IC,
it might be wired differently - some might have inputs wired to ground - or
some outputs loop back to inputs on the same IC. So a standard test vector
for a specific IC won't work at all. With the programming capability, you
can customize the same library for each and every circuit card. And then
you identify that location on the board via the RefDes location. So all you
have to do is load the test program for the circuit board and it instantly
knows how the board is wired.

I heard someone on this thread might scan the manual for this one ?? I've
been tempted to build one myself for many years, I think I may have to
pursue this even more now. Hopefully that manual may have schematics to use
as a reference. If someone could provide a code dump of the Firmware in the
Eproms, I can disassemble the code to see what all they have going on
inside that tester - it would make for good reference in case you have to
repair one. Because there's a boatload of circuit boards (arcade
&computers) between myself and a couple of friends here in the Pittsburgh -
that all the time in the world isn't enough to continue fixing them with
out some additional test equipment like this.

Dan

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Fabrizio Vasile <fabrizio.vasile@gmail.com